Image Map

Word Problems in Math: Best Game Ever!

Word Problems in Math Game


Students dread solving word problems in math!

At least my kiddos do...

I have this product, that I made, and I have been trying to think of a way to make problem-solving FUN.

So, I searched and searched...

Trashketball was a suggestion somewhere. So, I thought "Ok this could be fun, but I need to change it up".

I LOVE adding twists to games. It keeps the kids guessing and I feel like they get more excited when they are competing against eachother.

So, I created Trash Math! (My kids named it...)


Here is how you play:

1. Print out these signs.
































2. Laminate the signs so that you can use them over and over again and change up the number. Attach the signs to a garbage can. Set them up however you'd like!



3. Use a worksheet with word problems. Here is the link to my product, but use whatever you want!

4. Students complete the worksheet and come up to you to get it checked. If they get them all right, they move on to the next step. If they miss any, they have to go back to their seat and make corrections.



5. Once they get every problem correct, they get to crinkle up their worksheet into a ball.

6. They roll a dice. Here is a link to a virtual dice if you want to use it!

7. They can either keep those points or "risk" their points by tossing their crinkled worksheet into one of the trash cans with the signs.

8. They have to multiply by the number on the sign if they make the shot. If they miss the shot, they lose their points for that round. (one worksheet per round)


9. Have students record their points next to their name on the board.

EXAMPLE: Student gets all questions correct. He rolls the dice and gets a 5. He decides to risk his points by wrinkling up the worksheet into a ball and tosses it into the front trash can labeled "multiply by 3". Now he has 15 points and records his name and 15 on the board for all to see and compete against.


This game is super fun and my students loved solving word problems this way. I have never seen them so excited and engaged when solving word problems in math. You HAVE to try this!


No comments:

Post a Comment