Image Map

Plan a Lemonade War




How many of you read Lemonade War by Jacqueline Davies? Omg it is such a great book to read towards the end of the school year. I bought the audiobook from Audible and I usually will play one chapter a day right after recess. My students love it. The discussion and topics that go along with this novel is awesome! It is so fun to hear the kids talk about their siblings and how they relate to the characters in the book.

I found a really cool Lemonade War Packet to discuss the book with my students. There are a ton out there for free. We do fun crafts and activities, like make your own lemonade sign, make a list of items you would use to make your own lemonade, and artwork with lemons.

Students LOVE this! They look forward to fourth grade because of this event every year. I have been doing this for over  6 years now and will continue to do it as long as I can. They love the competition and it is hilarious to see what they do each year. One year, I had students make shirts! Another year, kids wore leis. Last year, I had students bring fresh fruit to blend and decorated their cups with umbrellas! The fruit lemonade was FANTASTIC. My favorite one was watermelon lemonade.





Two weeks before our Lemonade War, we select our groups. Students can work in groups of 4-5. They need one parent for each group to supervise them. They are told that they will be competing against each other to make the best-tasting lemonade. They are given some time in class to collaborate with the group and plan who will bring in each item and a letter is sent home to parents.

The lemonade must be homemade! No mixes or flavor drops allowed!

Students are given a list of rules and items that they need to bring in.

Here are the rules:

1. Everyone must be contributing.
2. Every group needs to bring in a tablecloth.
3. Bring in enough dixie cups for each student in the class.
4. You need three judge cups. Don't forget "presentation is key".
5. No knives are allowed in school. All lemons must be cut prior to bringing them into school.
6. No flavor drops permitted or "mixes".









Students are instructed to bring in enough dixie cups so that everyone can sample each other's lemonade. They love this part!



I select three judges. Usually I choose one classroom teacher, one special area teacher, and the principal.

The morning of the Lemonade War, students get into their groups and I project this PowerPoint. I project the groups with their group numbers, the rules and procedures, and the winning teams.



Each group is given a number. When the judges are given their cups, they have a group number written on them. That is how the judges vote for their favorite lemonade. They put a check next to the group number that they think made the best lemonade, fold the paper, and bring it down to my class. It is cool to see how they present their cups. This group brought stickers in and colored straws to "jazz" up their cups!





I total the votes and fill in the PowerPoint. The class awaits the final vote! Then the number one group wins a treat. I have given Lemonheads, Lemon Italian Ice, and other lemon treats to the winning team.

I teach two classes, so we compete against each other too! There is a first place winner in my homeroom and a first place winner in my teaching partner's homeroom. We have another judge pick the best out of the two. So far, my class holds the LEMONADE WAR TITLE!

I wonder how it will go this year...

No comments:

Post a Comment